Among research topics, sociology can be an interesting one to choose. This article is aimed to provide you the list of topics you can pick up to write about this area.
Sociology is the academic field about groups of people, their cultures, customs, and practises. There are plentiful of topics for you to write about this area because it is so broad and our social culture is changing continuously. Here are top ten popular topics with various derivation of them provided to you.
1. Race, Nationality and Ethnicity
This can be the most popular topic to write about sociology.
Race, Nationality, and Ethnicity are some of the most written about subjects in sociology. Sociologists would like to study about the origin of people, the solidarity between those who are from the same origin, the strength of these bonds and the negative impacts of the differences also.
Below are some topics on race, nationality, and ethnicity:
- Racial Discrimination in Cities
- Education Levels of difference races
- The connection between Class and Race
- Racial characteristics and their effects
- Marriage between races in the past and now
- Can the surrounding environment affect people more than their race?
- The differences between ethnical culture and race, and their connection
- Multi-Ethnic Individuals and their role in Society
- How Ethnicity Affects Social Classes
- Multicultural Society
- Patriotism in a certain country
- What are the viewpoint of people toward their nationality
- What creates the patriot?
2. Mass Media
This can be a very interesting topic for sociology. Things we see and hear on television, radio, in magazines, in theaters can make a great influence on our thinking. There are a lot, a lot of topics on media, and here are some cool ones presented to you
How are different kinds of people presented in the media?
(Example: young women, women, young men, men, children, the disable, celebrities, etc.)
The Targets of the Media for Profit
- What commercial contents are played at what time and on what channel?
- Which genre of music is consumed the most by which group in the society?
- Romantic Comedies
- Gym, Tan, Laundry
- Children’s Television
- New Technologies
It is not only about the food distribution but also how it is made and consumed. Food culture can reflect people’s culture. Below are topics about food culture
- What are the main ingredients of our food? Meats, Vegetables, and More
- How do fast food places make their food?
- The Use of Pesticides in Farms
- What are food regulations of a certain country?
- The Seed Bank
- Food import and export situation
- Food Packaging Messages
- Difference in food distribution in terms of geographical and social class features.
- The Locations of Fast Food Chains in Relation to Low-Income Areas
- The changes of serving sizes time-on-time
- The place where people eat
- A study on nutrition facts
- Family dinners in modern day
- Food culture of a particular place
- Obesity in adults and children
- Can technology change our eating habits?
- How is food advertised by the media?
4. Youth Cultures
The youth are occupying a large component in our society. They have many interesting subcultures through their attitude, clothing, music and so on. By studying these things, we can understand their way of thinking and how the world will be because they are the future of our world.
- Hip Hop culture over time (from the 80s, 90s, to 2000s)
- Anarchy, rebellion and revolution of Punk
- Culture of extreme sports
- How the media affects teenagers
- Competition between young women
- “Emo” Culture: The Self-Destructive adolescents
- Deviant behaviors
- Jock Culture
- Messages delivered in a certain genre of music
- Genders issue at high school
- Bullying and cyber bullying
- Sexual education
There are still gender disparities existing in our society. People still set their mind that how to treat people in the same situation but different genders. Despite of many campaigns fighting or gender equality, but the bias is still available across the world.
- Wages for Men and Women
- Genderized employments
- Women in the Workplace
- Gender transformation
- Homosexuality and the perspective of the community about homosexuality
- How Men and Women are Treated Differently in Law, Media, and Social Interactions
- Women’s rights and movements
- Women’s revolution
6. Social Movements
It can be said that social movements could be an easy-to-choose topic. But it is interesting also. The movement and revolution of a society refers to the formation of a community whose people share the same beliefs and strives to accomplish a goal. There have been social movements all the time.
It is a good choice if you set your study on a movement or a group of people who are under oppression. Then your work is to identify the formation of the movement, accomplishment or downfall of it, and its aftermath as well. Now it is turn for suggested topic.
- The Civil Rights Movement
- The Feminist Movement
- Animal Rights Movement
- Occupy Wall Street
- The French Revolution
- Disability Rights Movement
- Fair Trade Movement
- Ethiopian Movement
- Human Rights
- Anti-Nuclear Movement
7. Cults, Clans and Communities
When people share the same strong belief about something, they will unite together and form a group. Sometimes, they can be destructive, yet some groups help to connect people, and create solidarity, community, and fellowship. People have the same belief can be members of religions, cults, clans and so on.
- Klu Klux Klan
- Charles Manson
8. Class Conflict and Inequalities
It cannot be denied that people from different social classes are treated in different way. Kids from rich families have chance to attend luxurious and well-equipped school while poor kids cannot. And class inequality roots deeply in our society and it is hard to be eliminated.
- Class and Geographical discrimination
- Ghettos and Gated segregation
- Food distribution for the rich and the poor
- Education for different classes
- Taxes and Wages
- How Ghetto affects the youth
- The “Ghetto” Cycle: A Study of Recidivism and No Opportunities
- Roles of wealth and race
9. Spirituality, Superstition, and Ledgends
There are many giant civilizations all around the world. They have left a lot of legacies, legend, mysteries and myth also. Studying about these legends and myths can make your research absolutely attractive.
- Pele, the Hawaiian Fire Goddess
- Lochness Monster
- Viking Legends
- Mayan Culture
- Egyptian Legends (Tombs, Afterlife, and Tut)
- Biblical Events
- Pandora’s Box
- Dolphins and the Amazon
- Ancient Greek civilization
- The Legend of the Three Sisters
Working on commodities does not require much field works; you can analyze the data which are available in books and online materials.
- Currency and other kinds of valuable things
- Fashion Accessories